Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Marthin Luther King Day

August 28, 2013 is Marthin Luther King Day. I went to visit State Capitol Building of West Virginia in Charleston to celebrate that precious day. I was very excited because this is my first time to visit the State Capitol Building, the building that has a real gold rooftop (that makes me want to touch it by hand).



After taking some photos, I went inside the building and sat down there with another exchange student from Pakistan, Mehak Rathore. Not long after I sat, children from the day care came to the room with their parents. They had their dream written on a banner and they dressed up as what they want to be. When I saw them, suddenly I remembered a part of Marthin Luther King Jr.’s speech,

I have a dream that one day little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.”

And that dream came true in front of my eyes. When I saw a black little girl sat next to a white little boy, talking and giggling with joy.

The celebration begun, I’m not really paying attention. For me, sitting for hours is not really fun. But suddenly, a black man walked and stood on the podium and he grabbed my attention. His name is Ron English, he’s a Pastor of Metropolitan Baptist Church at Charleston, West Virginia. He gave us the speech of Freedom to Peacefully Co-Exist, which also consist Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech.

There are kids right in front of us, here. They have a dream. And our job is to make those dreams come true. A dream that there will be a peace in the world—And let us make it happens! Let there be peace in the world and let it starts by me.

Assalamualaikum. Syalom. Peace.”

Assalamualaikum. Syalom. Peace. Those last three words reminded me why I’m here now, why I’m in USA now.

To brings peace. To give a better understanding that nothing is good or bad, it’s just different. And different it’s not bad—It’s diversity.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Let the peace starts from us.


credit
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your footsteps here.